Chapters 8 and 9

Chapter 8

Feedback continues to be one of the things that I strive to improve on. Every year, I start strong, set goals for myself, and make minor improvements. I always struggle at the same time of year -- January. I feel the crunch on STAAR writing and get so focused on prep that feedback settles on the back burner. I recognize the importance of it, believe me and every year I know I get a little bit better at it. I provide both written and verbal feedback to my students via their writing/reading notebooks. I focus on specific strengths  and leave them with questions and ideas for growth. One thing I would like to institute next year is students providing feedback to each other in their notebooks. I think it will be even more valuable coming from peers.

Our students do have e-portfolios, which I think is a great idea. I would like to spend more time on them. Usually we take time to work on them a lot at the end of the year, while working on our "growth over time" essays.

Setting goals is another one of those items that I feel pretty confident about at the beginning of the year, but around Jan or Feb, we are slacking on. I actually love the process of setting goals and join my students in setting them, but time gets away from me when I feel the crunch for STAAR testing. That  is not a good excuse, but unfortunately, as a 4th grade writing teacher, it is reality. I have the students set reasonable goals on specific skills in reading and writing. They have to tell me what the goal is and a plan on how to reach that goal. In about a month, we re-read the goals and evaluate where we are. Sometimes, we set new ones, and some of the kids keep the same ones, or tweak that goal. We post the goals as a reminder of where we are headed.

The recording is a great idea - as teachers, it is something truly valuable as we build and grow our  craft. I think the kids would welcome it!

Chapter 9

Making learning meaningful?? Yes! As an adult learner, that is what I yearn for as I attend PD. There is nothing more frustrating than when I am asking myself after 6 hours, "Why was I there?"
Why should we treat our students any different?
But, how do we make it relevant to them? First of all... I think we have to remember that "one size DOES NOT fit all." When we stop wondering how we can see kids as individuals, it is time to hang it up. Kids need choice and ownership of their learning. I love passion projects! I love watching kids take a question and turn it into an exciting opportunity to learn and teach others. Kids have to understand the WHY of what they are learning, not just the WHAT.
Once they get busy, they need to receive specific feedback on what they are doing along the way to head off any major mistakes. They need to see the value in setting goals, and comparing where they started to where they finished.
When it comes to intellectually stimulating this population, I believe it is more of the same. Anytime we can give these students opportunities to have ownership in their learning and see the value in it, they will want to learn more. They will strive for excellence, and become those curious students who have a continued desire to search for answers to life's unpredictable situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapters 1-3

Chapter 12

Chapters 6 and 7